22 July 2011

Forty years later

My heart goes out to the people of Norway tonight as they contend with the shock that comes from having suffered an attack on their well-being and people. They, too, have entered this world of utter insanity where people shoot others because of some internal dissonance.

As I read the sad news of what transpired today in Oslo, I remember how as a 14 year-old I went to Norway with my aunt and uncle (they lived in the Netherlands and he was a travelling salesman so our trip also included Sweden and Denmark). Needless to say, as a fourteen year-old I did not know a whole lot but even then was aware of Norway being a 'neutral' country.

My aunt and I wandered around Oslo while my uncle did his business. It was all so civilised.

And, today, Norway has its sad day, 22-7-2011... I doubt the person responsible had any idea that he has sullied the Feast of Mary Magdalene.

May God have mercy on us all (even as the US Congress shows itself to be increasingly dysfunctional).

2 comments:

claire bangasser said...

Dysfunctional, this is right way to call it. I join your prayers for Norway -- and Congress.

it's margaret said...

Amen.