| The last supper at the family homestead |
A year later, my father has survived the full cycle, seen the seasons and how they affect the pond outside his window, a pond that is most likely a blur. A year ago, he would ambulate, dress himself and move with relative ease. A year later, he is a prisoner in his body that is becoming increasingly rigid. He can no longer walk or dress or bathe himself — that all went within two months of his moving to his place — and he can barely feed himself. His mind, however, is as sharp as ever.
My mother is a helium balloon, rising higher and higher above the earth as her mind decreases. That is a whole other reflection.
And the house, the house. I still grieve it. The table, chairs, sideboard, a pair of candlesticks, and painting all now live with me. I don't have the wonderful black and white floor, which my mother loved because it reminded her of the 16th-century Flemish paintings. I am sure that that floor no longer exists any more than the kitchen and bathrooms we left behind. The house remains in my memory, where it is safest. One can never, ever go back.
And in that year, too, my father's cat, Pico, has come to live with me. He has settled in and my father misses him terribly.
As I have said often to others, I do not claim exceptionality in all this. Most adult children go through this same process. That said, I still feel it.
No comments:
Post a Comment