10 February 2009

Prayerful space

Two of the chaplains successfully changed an upstairs conference room at the Maritime Institute into our prayer space. I didn't bring my camera this time but a friend took these two photos.


Being down south, there are pussy willow trees in bloom. I won't see them until April up my way. The altar is just a table up on a platform.


The Theotokos icon is borrowed from the congregation of one of the readers. I don't know the entire story but what we are seeing is a part of an eighteen-foot high image. Parishioners guilded the roll of paper on which they wrote the icon (as it were); the entire image is cut out of the paper with exacto knives.

Mary and Jesus watch over us as we gather for Morning Prayer, Eucharist (at vespers) and Compline... and one can say that their presence manifests itself throughout the building as we read our papers.

I realise how much I miss Mary. One of these days I need to find a decent statue or icon of the Theotokos for Trinity.

1 comment:

Jane R said...

I love that Theotokos!