20 April 2010

The ABC has caved

And I quote Archbishop Rowan Williams: ' In all your minds there will be questions around the election and consecration of Mary Glasspool in Los Angeles. All of us share the concern that in this decision and action the Episcopal Church has deepened the divide between itself and the rest of the Anglican family. And as I speak to you now, I am in discussion with a number of people around the world about what consequences might follow from that decision, and how we express the sense that most Anglicans will want to express, that this decision cannot speak for our common mind.'

Well.. some of my questions are: Why did it take so long to elect another highly qualified priest, someone who could run circles around many of us other clergy?

Why should one adjective ('lesbian') disqualify her from becoming a bishop?

As for TEC deepening the divide between itself and the rest of the Anglican family (a word I have always steered clear of, let's call it the koinonia)... we are not isolated. There ARE other provinces who rejoice in this election. We are not by ourselves. He may want to think we are isolated but we are NOT!

Consequences? Kick us out. Our relationships with parts of the Anglican Communion will continue.

I am appalled. Utterly appalled by this caving to bigotry, fear mongering and pandering to a loud, well-funded group. He has caved, he is in a cave of fear.

He needs our prayers even more than ever.

2 comments:

whiteycat said...

Indeed, this is a very sad turn of events. I am outraged by the ABC's comments.

Lisa Fox said...

Well said. And amen.