23 April 2010

The deal-breakers

... nothing new really but just more reason why this Anglican Covenant should die a graceful death.

From the Global South crowd:

We believe that all those who adopt the Covenant must be in compliance with Lambeth 1.10. Meanwhile we recognize that the Primates Meeting, being responsible for Faith and Order, should be the body to oversee the Covenant in its implementation, not the Standing Committee of the Anglican Communion.

Lambeth 1998 I.10 ad nauseum. If that resolution which has no legal authority is a deal-breaker, then those provinces that hitherto have categorically refused to engage in a thoughtful, reasoned conversation about human sexuality and who continue to treat the LGBT community as disordered also need to respect the portion of said resolution that calls upon them to do these things: talk about sexuality and treat all people as worthy of God's love AS THEY ARE. Until then, they are hypocritical and cannot command a higher moral authority.

God forbid that we end up with the primates acting as our magisterium. We are Anglicans, for pity's sake. There is a wideness in God's mercy as there is a wideness in Anglican theology. We do not need litmus tests that these bishops would want to impose on the rest of us. Thank you very much but no thanks.

These folks need to form their Baptist/Calvinist/Evangelical Church and stop calling themselves Anglican.

Grump.

4 comments:

it's margaret said...

Not grump. Truth.

susankay said...

Double grump

whiteycat said...

Having come from the RCC, I say triple grump.

BooCat said...

Having been brought up in a Baptist/Calvinist/Evangelical situation, I say, that's exactly what I came here to get away from. I thought I had made it when these purity police turned up.

There are plenty of opportunities in this wide world for them to find such if that is what they would truly like to have. My prayer is for them to bug off to it with our blessing and leave us in peace.