09 November 2009

Tonight's festivities in Berlin


I never thought this wall would come down in my lifetime as it went up four years after I was born.

Imagine....

1 comment:

PseudoPiskie said...

I was in my first year at Westminster Choir College and I was studying German. Our prof came in very bleary-eyed as she had been on the phone all night. She relayed many first hand accounts from both sides of the wall which somehow seemed more real than what we had seen on TV.

Leonard Bernstein died that fall so he couldn't conduct Elijah with the New York Philharmonic. It became Kurt Masur's first concert with the Phil. To me, singing Elijah with the conductor of Mendelssohn's Gevandhaus Orchestra who had turned down the invitation to be part of the new German government was an amazing privilege few of my much younger classmates could appreciate. It was an amazing time. Love will win. I just wish it didn't take so long so often.