23 November 2009

A view from the outside

There's a quick article in the Atlantic Monthly about where I now live and the downtown.

One store that was terrific (full of neat, funky household stuff) closed just before I moved because the owner retired. I was so bummed by that loss. I go to Tattersal's, mentioned in the article. Their problem is TJMaxx and WalMart right across the street.

Since my church is in the downtown consortium, I go to various meetings... as the only non-store owner. The article writer reinforces what outsiders say about Rutland: it's a quaint city. The problem is that for a Vermont place, it suffers from low self-esteem because its image does not echo the touristic one: there are no cows, barns except for those painted on the Ben and Jerry's ice cream store up on Rte 7. And sadly there is a fair bit of crime. So Rutland is kind of down on itself.

In any event, check out the article.

2 comments:

it's margaret said...

The 'view' in the windows looks wonderful. I pray continued success on all the downtown ventures.

Have you tried any of the habanero candy? It is really worthy of ice? Sounds good!!

Caminante said...

Habeñero candy? Where's that? How did I miss it?