08 October 2011

Mill River

It was such a gorgeous day today that I ignore the cold I have and the leaf peeper crowds and the packing I have to do and the sermons I have to write (tomorrow and funeral Monday) and took off for a short walk on the LT/AT. I haven't been out since I fell in the NH Whites two months ago and gave myself a huge haematoma and banged my ankle so any stamina I had had is long gone.

Clarendon Gorge and the Mill River were altered by Tropical Storm Irene. This leaf is in a dry spot that up until 28 August 2011 was underwater. The river flows with greater volume of water today than three weeks ago but it still is not the river of this summer.

This whale-like rock also was underwater; the force of the river smoothed it out to transform its shape, to soften its edges. It is now covered with fine river silt.

This living water flows far too fast and strong for any nice baptisms. It churns enough to make one dizzy watching it.

I don't know how many more times I will have to return, how long it will take until my presence will be but a shadow of memory.

No comments: