
It always takes my body some time to adapt to the winter temperatures within the house. Outside it isn't too bad but readapting to a house that settles down to 59 degrees during the day (thermostat is kept at 60) requires some effort. Today I feel as though I am in an igloo. Eventually I will not notice it as much (as I get more and more turtlenecks and heavier sweaters out) but right now I am wrapped up in a puff (as I called feather quilts as a child) that keeps my legs and torso warm. If only I could get one of the cats to settle down on my lap, then I'd be really warm.
Even harder is the thought of shedding these warm layers to get into a short-sleeved tshirt and shorts to row, though I know that the house temperature actually is perfect for exercising.
Later: As I said, the cool house is perfect for exercising. Though I tend to row more slowly in the afternoon, it is nice to have the low sun coming in through the window and warm me just a little. So I rowed 1/2 hour and am in the 30th +/- percentile for my time/distance. I wasn't really pushing (a bit of fiddling with my iPod at the beginning) so I probably can move up.
7 comments:
Couldn't you turn it up just a little? 60 is great for sleeping but not so great for doing things on the computer or reading.
I'd rather shiver and remain at 67% compensation than be warmer and see my income reduced. In my head, that is what it boils down to. There are always sweaters and quilts. And I do let the heat go up from 5.00-10.00 PM. The one thing I wish is that there were a working fireplace in the house.
Caminante, your frosty indoor temperatures should stimulate you to exercise just to warm up, if for no other reason.
Layer, layer, layer. What do I know living in the land of (almost) no winter? Anyway, that's what I do when I visit cold places.
Is there a nonworking fireplace? 60 is too cold for me except when in bed. My automatic thermostat goes to 62 at night and 66 during the day.
Lotsa comments on this one :)
There is one fireplace in the house but it is sealed because the chimney is unlined. It would cost about $1800-2000 to get it lined (if possible, because the chimney is old, crooked and narrows to the top, and shares the same space as the furnace chimney).
Once my body realises that it is winter temps, I will be fine (other than my hands). I have lots of sweaters to layer and I do.
Pseudopisky, I suppose there is a difference between 60 and 62 but I don't see that much.
For the five hours that the thermostat is up, it's at 65.
I grew up in a house where my bedroom upstairs was 54 so I really can handle this. I die when I go to the hospital or assisted living place, which are set at 75 (for good reason).
60? Yikes! We keep ours at 68 or 69, down to 65 (sometimes lower) at night. But, of course, Atlanta doesn't get so cold, so we don't use as much heat in the winter anyway.
Unfortunately, my thyroid condition often leaves me freezing (especially my hands), so the higher temps are the lowest that are comfortable for me. My partner, on the other hand, would probably enjoy life at 60 degrees! Luckily, we have a dual electric blanket. I can heat up my side, and she tends to kick off her side altogether. It was the perfect answer to a hot/cold couple like us (and I've never yet met a couple who is comfortable at the same temperature!).
Word verification was:
duhfatdz
Interesting what can entertain me on a Friday! :)
Post a Comment