19 October 2008

Before dawn's early light

A photo will come later. I am sitting in the Burlington airport waiting for my 6.30 flight to Newark, then to Denver where I will see my sister for an hour at the airport, and onto Helena, MT for Executive Council.

And now they are boarding us. Off into the world of tin cans at 35.000 feet.

[night update]

Ensconced in my room in the Best Western in Helena, Montana. I can't see a thing from this room because it is behind a vent stack (oh well) but I went out for a walk before dinner and see that this area is ringed by mountains that have snow.

So two photos from the day, first of early morning over NYC from Newark airport and then one of my sister and me in Denver, taken by my holding the camera as far from us as I could stretch my arms.


I took this out the window from the Continental terminal at EWR. I used to work at Seamen's church Institute of NY & NJ in Port Newark so once upon a time knew my way around all that road spaghetti... dodging straddle carriers, those huge spider-like things that barrel through the port moving stacks of containers that have been off-loaded from ships. The big difference, of course, is you no longer see the WTC.


My sister, who lives in Denver, came out to the airport and we had an hour and a half visit in the non-security area of the airport. It was great to see her; I haven't since June 2007. It was too short a visit but we had a good time exchanging photos (she is an ardent cat lover, too). It is a good thing I went through security when I did because I had to walk to the furthest point of the airport where I met up with probably a dozen Executive Council members who all were on the same flight.

4 comments:

Fran said...

Safe travels!

Leonard said...

Have a safe trip...know that you are appreciated...and please tell them in Montana that I´m eternally glad TEC WELCOMES everyone (at all levels of Churchlife).

Feliz EVERYTHING!

Leonard said...

I always feel so ¨part of¨ when I read your travels, away or at home...thanks, nice meeting your sister too!

Jane R said...

Have a good meeting! Glad you got to see your sister and show kitteh pictures.