06 October 2008

Monday morning crankies


According to the Times:

Ms. Palin made clear that Ms. Obama’s relationship to the controversial Rev. Jeremiah Wright was also fair game:

“To tell you the truth, Bill, I don’t know why that association isn’t discussed more, because those were appalling things that that pastor had said about our great country, and to have sat in the pews for 20 years and listened to that — with, I don’t know, a sense of condoning it, I guess, because he didn’t get up and leave — to me, that does say something about character. But, you know, I guess that would be a John McCain call on whether he wants to bring that up.”

Never mind that woman can't speak English properly (oh God PULEEEZ not another four years of someone mangling English).

So how come the Dems don't go after the horrid ideas of James Hagee whom McCain had as an endorser??? He has said among other things:

'Adolf Hitler attended a Catholic school as a child and heard all the fiery anti-Semitic rantings from Chrysostom to Martin Luther. When Hitler became a global demonic monster, the Catholic Church and Pope Pius XII never, ever slightly criticized him. Pope Pius XII, called by historians 'Hitler's Pope,' joined Hitler in the infamous Concordat of Collaboration, which turned the youth of Germany over to Nazism, and the churches became the stage background for the bloodthirsty cry, 'Pereat Judea'.... In all of his [Hitler's] years of absolute brutality, he was never denounced or even scolded by Pope Pius XII or any Catholic leader in the world. To those Christians who believe that Jewish hearts will be warmed by the sight of the cross, please be informed—to them it's an electric chair.'

Mr. McCain, who has been on a steady search for support among conservative and evangelical leaders who have long distrusted him, said he was "very honored'' by Mr. Hagee's endorsement. Asked about Mr. Hagee's extensive writings on Armageddon and about what one questioner said was Mr. Hagee's belief that the anti-Christ will be the head of the European Union, Mr. McCain responded that "all I can tell you is that I am very proud to have Pastor John Hagee's support.''

+

Meanwhile, my (formerly Republican) father submitted this letter to the New York Times. If it doesn't make their edition, you have an exclusive here.

TO THE EDITOR:

Re "Palin, on Offensive, Attacks Obama’s Ties to ’60s Radical" (page 31, Oct. 5). In Michael Cooper's article, I read excerpts from Governor Palin's attack on Senator Obama, including the following:

“We see America as the greatest force for good in this world. If we can be that beacon of light and hope for others who seek freedom and democracy and can live in a country that would allow intolerance in the equal rights that again our military men and women fight for and die for all of us."

I knew that I had read that before somewhere.

Getting down my copy of "e. e. cummings, Poems 1923-1954" and turning to is5, TWO, III, I found:

" 'next to of course god america i
love you land of the pilgrims' and so forth oh
say can you see by the dawn's early my
country 'tis of centuries come and go
and are no more what of it we should worry
in every language even deafanddumb
thy sons acclaim your glorious name by gorry
by jingo by gee by gosh by gum
why talk of beauty what could be more beau-
tiful than these heroic happy dead
who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter
they did not stop to think they died instead
then shall the voice of liberty be mute?'
He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water"

My goodness ! I didn't realize that Governor Palin was so eclectically read. But, really, she should provide proper attribution.

[photo... it's up to your interpretation]

2 comments:

Jane R said...

Oh, Bravo, Father of Caminante!

The Religious Pícaro said...

Your father is brilliant. Gov. Palin, less so.