
Tonight I had my last vestry meeting here. My first was 11 July 1994 and I figure 140 or so meetings have passed under the bridge since that July evening when I went to vestry and didn't have a clue what was going on.
Fourteen years later, now I find myself imparting as much knowledge as I possibly can so that the parish not be totally discombobulated. Maybe it is because when I arrived here, there was nothing written down to guide me so I had to find out everything myself.
Call it control issues and an inability to let go. Maybe it comes from renting places and knowing I had to sweep up or not get my deposit back (even though that is hardly the issue here).
Life will go on. The vestry will use the rector's office for child care this winter while the congregation worships in the parish house. The erstwhile nursery school director's office will become the winter sacristy. These changes will all take place without me and the river will keep flowing. That is the nature of these things.
Now, if only I could stop the tears from flowing so much, life would be hunky dory.
[Enjoy the votives — there aren't any where I am going... yet.]
5 comments:
Oh Caminante, so many prayers.
Change does always come bearing gifts. They just weigh at ton and are often wrapped in some funky paper.
I know you know this already!
Votives=peace.
Leaving
*things* in good order is a sign of not only wonderful manners but love...it´s a loving and almost anonymous touch of wishing everyone and everything well after you´ve gone onward...onward is most always a very good thing and I wish you well as you start out and are on your way...it´s OK to ¨look back¨ even though you may turn into a Saint if you do (and we all know how nasty sainthood can get in the getting).
Prayers for the people you are leaving as well as for you! There are probably tears you will never see that would surprise you. Maybe a votive candle will be lit for you by an individual you thought didn't care. It's hard to lose clergy who are loved enough to have been in one place for awhile.
I hope you find a place for votive lights in your new parish. Some might resist. There are a few in our parish who think it is too Roman. But there are always one or two flickering.
Accompanying you in prayer and transition...
Jane and the feline bishop
P.S. I will light a votive for you here at home in front of the icon of Julian of Norwich.
God bless you. Keep walking. Face forward.
Go in love.
Post a Comment