I drove down to Rutland today with another load of things to drop off at the rectory and, while I was down there, I went over to the church to take some photos. The interior will come along next week.

Oddly, the church is not oriented east-west but north-south. I don't know why that is the case but clearly the side of the nave faces due west. So what you are seeing is the west side of the tower. (I'll leave all the historical info for you to look up on the church's website.)

The chapel is on the west end of the building and it is a lovely space that seats about 50 people. When the church was restored ten years ago, they repainted the interior and the chapel's decorations are beautiful. Behind the chapel is a non-descript 1960s two-story parish hall with a humungous pseudo gymnasium, auditorium space which is where we will be worshipping this winter after Christmas.

Here is a shot of the façade of the church. It's quite different from where I am now, ¿no?

The front from the other side…

Once I am fully there, the Wednesday 5.30 HE will return and, at the bottom, you'll see my name, oh my.

I presume this is a memorial garden but since the gate was padlocked shut, I couldn't tell. Rutland does have a higher crime rate than where I am and I know there have been issues with people in the garden but we'll have to see....
2 comments:
Why will you be worshiping in the auditorium?
Saving money on heating oil. A bunch of churches, Saint Mary's included, are all going to their parish halls. Saint Mary's can actually turn the heat OFF and not worry about busted pipes because there is no running water.
Post a Comment