
[Those of us of a certain age will remember the 1974 Kraftwerk album with this title.]
My plan today was to take another load of stuff to the new rectory. Oh well.
My car died at the Randolph exit 15 miles down the road from here (this view is looking north) so I spent four hours at a garage mercifully within coasting distance of the exit (I managed to get off the highway at least) while they replaced wires, spark plugs, and a bunch of other things and tomorrow they will replace the radiator which has holes in the fins. I am already out $500 from today. Never made it to Rutland so the white lilacs and hollyhocks drove 100 miles in a big circle.
So to get to dinner at some friends over in Bristol (for those of you who care, it's Rte 116) I drove over two mountain gaps — Lincoln Gap in the south and came back under moonlight by Appalachian Gap (Rte 17 that takes you by Mad River Glen). I guess my car wanted one last trip around that route. The drive was gorgeous and the foliage is at peak on the west side of the Greens.
Coming back, I stayed awake by yelling at the radio at the lies that came from the Republican contender's mouth... things like how Sarah Palin is a role model for women, and his harping on ACORN and Ayers... the best was his freudian slip when he called Obama, 'Senator Government.' Nauseating.
3 comments:
As I am of the same certain age as you, I do remember it clearly.
It was often an earworm for me as I drove on said authobahn in Germany... the only other country (well except Canada) that I have driven in a lot.
Oh I am so sorry for your car problems - never any fun.
And I can sort of imagine you with your righteous fury, fist balled, aghast at what you are hearing, shouting at the radio.
Who knew that being "eloquent" was an insult? Did I call your preaching "eloquent" after I visited you? Maybe. I still kind of like to use it in the form of a compliment.
As for that pesky (hehehe old man laugh, very Mr Burns from the Simpsons sound) women's "health" - you know how women (being one yourself) are so Jezebel-ish 'n stuff.
The offer stands.
Die Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
Weisse Streifen, gruener Rand ...
Post a Comment