29 December 2008

Off to the 'rents


Off to the 'rental' unit... four hours down south.

As I pray for Mark's mother, Anne, who fell and broke her leg (at age 90) this past Saturday, I fret about mi madre, whose short term memory is getting more and more befuddled. I haven't seen my parents since September but the phone messages recently received say it all.

The photo is from May 2007, as she watched the Beloved Cat, Pixel, have her breakfast. Pixel is now 18.5 and mi madre 81 so they are sort of in the same age bracket.

Meanwhile, mi padre still holds the national hammer throw record for 80+....

As folks said in the comments at Mark's blog, this ageing process is tough.

3 comments:

it's margaret said...

I will pray for you and your parents. --prayers for the journey ahead.

and, as to your post about your books and study below --be careful... books that are stacked cover to cover like that somehow make whole bunches of more books... not quite sure how it happens... must be when the lights go out!

blessings.

Jane R said...

Safe travels, and may all go well. One holds one's breath all the time with parents this age. Mine are 90 and have had a good year but they are increasingly fragile. Always good to spend time together. Life is short. I hope you and they are not faced with too many tough decisions. It's hard when they have always been fiercely independent and start to decline.

PseudoPiskie said...

Prayers for you and your folks. I have a 93 year old friend in Georgia who can no longer drive or get out easily, is tired of cooking and can't afford a place with meals. Some of us live too long.