18 June 2009

Fun association


Someone on my Facebook page referred to his being a Mac user as a Mac-aw. I like that reference simply because I like the birds.

A family with whom I stayed in El Salvador seven years ago has a scarlet macaw like this one; he made a lot of noise and also a bit of a mess in his large cage (he was outdoors and had a good-sized enclosure). I have three precious feathers of his; yellow, blue and red.

More important, my great-grandparents had a macaw named, Arthur. The bird would cry out for the dog, a German Shepherd, scolding it. The family would come home to find the dog cowering with this bird yelling at it. One (in)famous day, my great grandmother came home from errands to find the milkman trapped in the pantry (which led to the backdoor). Evidently when he knocked on the door, the bird called out, 'Come in!' So he did but when he went to leave, the dogs wouldn't let him leave. He had been stuck in the house for some time, worrying about his milk and all the rest perishing in his truck.

From one mac-aw to another.

No comments: