23 June 2009

Memory Lane


OK, since Susan Russell and Elizabeth Kaeton are pulling out old photos of Integrity Eucharists, let me add in my two cents.

At the Mile-High City, we celebrated the Eucharist at the Cathedral of Saint John. No kidding, it was at least 100 degrees inside. The cathedral was filled to capacity (1100-1200 people). I can't remember if it was in Denver or Minneapolis (I think the latter) that the Stole Project coincided with our being there — stoles of people who had been denied ordination because of their orientation.

But, as Susan and Elizabeth point out in their postings, this was the first time that the LGBT clergy of The Episcopal Church would vest and process. My recollection is that our en masse concelebration was also in response to a certain deputy from the west who declared at the 1997 Philadelphia General Convention that there were no gay clergy in TEC. So, it was also a 'oh yes there are.'

[I am just to the left of the man in brown habit with purple stole to the left of the altar.]

But what was the most powerful was the recessional when all 1100 people started to applaud. I was in tears, thinking that that applause was as much of an affirmation as my ordination to the priesthood, if not more.

Minneapolis and Columbus saw even more clergy come forward and those Eucharists were equally as warm.

So having the Eucharist in a hotel ballroom is going to be a bit of a change if only for having air conditioning!

No comments: