
I am a bit brain dead tonight so this will be short.
Today I spent five hours in my church office listening to people. They always migrate to the Kennedy rocker, a chair I bought very early on here with my Christmas gift from the congregation. I've watched nervous brides-to-be rock themselves into the wall, bereaved people sit very still, young mothers hold their children, older people deal with their mortality and countless others settle into that chair and begin to rock. It could tell stories.
Oddly, the only time I sit in it is when I turn it around to consult the books (lectionary commentaries) that reside in the bookcase behind it.
It lives in a small office in a small parish house, an office that is used by a lot of other people (vestry counters on Sunday mornings and the nursery school teacher for parent-teacher conferences). It's hard to keep neat. But at least it is once again the rector's office (it wasn't when I arrived here 13 years ago).
Time for me to find my rocking chair at home and chill out.
2 comments:
Five hours? That's a long time to listen to people, probably most with a trouble or two to talk to you about.
Chill out some today, too, my friend, for tomorrow is a work day for you.
Does mowing the back yard count? And then going to buy cat food and litter? Now it's time to do the bulletins for Sunday. This is a week where there hasn't been a clearly defined moment of 'time off.'
Post a Comment