
Here's what I gathered from the garden this evening: first potatoes of the season (very early because I planted them back in May before leaving on the Camino), some tired peppers (it has been a poor season for them), a few wax beans (equally poor season), some parsley (never a poor season), two yellow tomatoes to ripen indoors, and some blackberries, the first of the season, and first I have ever picked here in 13 years.
Though I have pretty much sworn off potatoes because they are carbs, I still love them, and there's nothing better than a freshly dug-up potato. It's like having soufflé with a slightly peaty flavour.
I have more than enough food to eat right now and I wish I could eat it all at every meal: swiss chard, radishes, lettuce, burgundy beans (they are purple when picked but turn green when steamed), snap peas — all from other people's gardens. Then there are blackberries that are just coming out as well as blueberries.
In summer, it's not hard to 'eat locally.' Winter is a whole other story.
1 comment:
I guess that's where canning and freezing come in (eating locally in winter I mean).
I am still trying to find local produce where I live. I know there must be some but it's not easily available.
Post a Comment