20 November 2007

Thanksgiving week


Once again, the ramp needs to be shovelled. This is the first 'real' snow storm of the year. It did something on Friday night last week but it didn't fully cover the ground. This one counts (it's a long-standing joke that it has to be more than an inch, cover the ground and stay for 24 hours). It's late this year. But we often have Thanksgivings where there is snow on the ground. Then everything warms up and we end up with freezing rain for Christmas. The childhood memories of walks on the beach Thanksgiving Day are pretty remote here.

Oops, I forgot to bring in the chairs. Shortly after I took this photo, I dusted the chairs off and carted them to the shed for the winter months. Time also to retire the chrysanthemums and put the wood in the shed, too.

The crummy weather cut down on attendance at the ecumenical Thanksgiving service tonight. I had copied 60 bulletins, but I would be suprised if we were 30. Only 6 of us from our congregation were there (two clergy, one in the choir and three in the pew).

No wonder: where there was still snow on the road (such as the driveway to the Methodist church where the service was held) it was the consistency of mashed potatoes. I watched the young (very!) Orthodox priest spin out half way up to the street, back down and then have to do a running start to get out of the parking lot. The second try he got out.

Earth-shattering thoughts, aren't these? Tonight's a night when I don't have much brain power to do much more than these little putterings (which makes my blog an undergraduate college reader's level according to whatever test there is out there).

2 comments:

Lisa Fox said...

Well, I like your chatting. And how delightful to see your ramp completed.

Yesterday, it was 76; I was out and about in khakis and a polo shirt. Today, "they" are expecting snow flurries. Go figger.

Padre Mickey said...

¡Hace frío!