12 September 2008

What is WRONG with this country?


from a recent Maureen Dowd column:

Rick Davis, a top McCain adviser, said: “This election is not about issues. This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates.”

If I hear one more white voter say that they like Palin because they can 'relate' to her, I am going to throw a rock at the radio. I was non-plussed when people said they liked Dubya because he was someone with whom they thought they could share a beer. How many beers has he had with people? And what does drinking a beer matter when you've got someone running amuck in the Middle East?

Is this electorate so STUPID that they are going to vote for someone because she seems 'just like me'? You bet.

It's pathetic.

Obama should be miles ahead of McCain. But, alas, not only is there the issue of people voting for someone if they like the person, but racism is alive and well. All Things Considered did a piece last night on voters in York, PA. A white woman said despite solid evidence, she still believed Obama was Muslim and she didn't 'trust' him. When the interviewers did a straw poll, the people of colour were all for Obama and all but one of the whites were for McCain. When asked if perhaps race was behind their vote, they initially denied it. But after a long discussion, they acknowledged that race did influence them.

I am so, so disgusted.

4 comments:

June Butler said...

Not more disgusted than I am, Caminante. The mentality of most folks in the country is truly screwed. We have what we deserve, and I fear that we will have what we deserve come November. Why must we be able to "relate" to the president and vice-president? We will never have to do that. We've never had a beer with Bush, and we'll never discuss being a hockey mom with Palin. What does that have to do with anything? That's so stupid.

Fran said...

Oh I could not agree more and I am upset beyond words.

I had a conversation with a woman at my church, maybe I emailed you about this.

She said that Obama attended an exclusive Muslim school in Hawaii. Now I have been to Hawaii 7 or 8 times, mostly on business. I know Honolulu well and still have contacts there; one person I speak to frequently.

Well this person actually attended Punahou a few years ahead of Obama.

And her ex-husband is a teacher there.

Punahou is an exclusive school, yes. It was founded by congregationalist missionaries - such as the Rev. Hiram Bingham, in the 19th century. While not religious they do have weekly chapel.

As I was explaining all this- of which I have first hand knowledge, this woman (from my church I should add) just glazed right over, I could see her "go away" in her eyes and she simply told me that what I said was not true.

That was the most polite but perhaps the most cruel way I've been called a liar.

susankay said...

I keep praying that the fact that the pollsters do not contact people without landlines means that they are ignoring the pro-Obama younger people.

Sherry said...

I think that Sarah provides a safe way to exhibit the racism most people are deathly afraid of enunciating. They can like her and thus vote for her, all the while breathing a sigh of relief that they don't have to make up stuff as to why they don't really want to vote for Obama because he is that black guy. Disgusting yes?