02 November 2008

Sunday after All Saints' Day, Part 2

Here's where things got sweet and fun. As I said to them after the blessing, I am totally yours now; I have no idea what is going to happen.


As things were still getting organised (after I gave the gift of an abilone shell they can use for baptisms or for incense), a ten-year old came up to me and gave me a paper airplane made out of the service bulletin and lectionary insert. So I had it posed for a trial flight.


The congregation, knowing how important El Salvador is, gave me enough money to enable me to make a trip there next year. They are so dear and I love them so much. That's why this leaving is so, so hard.


I no longer remember at what I was laughing but the woman to my right, is presenting me a 'memory box,' filled with cards and notes from people and few other surprises, like a photo of Cici, the dog who knows exactly the order of the liturgy, and some chocolate (!).


The box is a wonderful antique metal box of Nurenberg. I will find out where they found it. As for its contents, I will keep them at hand for the days when I am feeling overwhelmed in my new parish. There is enough support inside that box that all I will have to do is open it, spin through a few notes, and I'll be back on track.


The congregation has long heard of my battles with 'Saint Mary's skunks,' so they gave me a squeaky toy of a gold-backed skunk.


People notice your little habits — a parishioner noticed how in the winter I leave my good shoes in the church so that they don't get messed up. So she made me these amazing purple boiled wool slippers so my feet will be warm. They look super warm and are most liturgically a propros colour-wise.


It is hard leaving all these dear people but perhaps the hardest ones to leave are the two surviving Belles of Saint Mary's, Phoebe and Esther (who made a special trip to the reception).

And so, there you have it.

I didn't collapse in a nap this afternoon; I took down my doctoral and M.Div. diplomas from the office wall as well as my letter of institution to serve at Saint Mary's. By tomorrow, I hope to have most everything out of the office.

I am planing.

BTW, Compa made the stole and chasuble for my ordinations. The design on both is of Killington and Pico. I am not sure Saint Mary's has fully realised that after 14 years, they will no longer have the wonderful mountain vestments. Now I have to figure out how to introduce them to Trinity.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Seeing and reading all of this has made me weepy!

I loved every word and sentiment of it all.

Having visited- even if only one time, I have seen those vestaments (you showed them to as you wore the other chausable that day)and you told me that Compa made them.

And that photo of your laugh- quite beautiful indeed.

It was great to see of this great send off. In every ending is a beginning but the sadness still needs to be felt and processed as you leave.

God bless you and God bless those fine people.