09 December 2008

All in a day


The days now are very full such that by the time I get home, I don't have much left in me to blog or read blogs.

This morning we had a burial service and interment for a woman who died at age 92. She was the last of the line, had no survivors so it was a small gathering of about 20 people. Nine of us went to the snowy cemetery to inter her ashes. The burial may be the second to last for the season; the cemetery will close soon until spring.

When I arrived at the church, the sexton told me there was no heat in the chapel where the service would be held. Ay, the furnace gods (or demons) from my previous parish have followed me. No reason either for the furnace not working. It was 5 overnight so it was good and cold in the chapel. The administrator joked, saying that perhaps we should have our six-month performance review now. I said I couldn't believe the furnace wasn't working but we'd figure it out and at least there weren't any skunks. Oh no, said the sexton, there are a lot that like to root around the foundation.

>: Sigh. :<

Meanwhile, I took Young Guy to a new vets, driving in the mashed potato stuff that fell overnight. He howled the whole way. He is still there overnight for observation, though I am sure that the precipitating behaviour, marking the furniture and walls, can't happen in a cage. He is miserable with all the stress and, consequently, the rest of us are too. The house has been very quiet tonight without his hissing and walking around and I miss him.

And, I sat down and started reading minutes and such so I know a little more of the recent past of my new congregational home. Interesting material.

For now, however, it's bedtime.

3 comments:

Leonard said...

Hope you had a good sleep in your newest nest...happy you made it home again, home again, lickety split!

Jane R said...

Here's a sleeping kitteh for a calm night.

P.S. The word verification says "futzpa" !!

Fran said...

Peace and blessings to you Caminante. I have not been on the blogs as much myself.

Sounds like you are settling in - quickly.

How is Young Guy? I send so many good thoughts to you all.

Do you all have the ice storm that we have? I have no clue how I am supposed to get to work - our street is a mess of downed branches, some of them quite large.