12 December 2008

Winter has arrived

In answer to Fran's question, we did have snow and ice but not nearly as badly as down state in Wilmington where most people are without electricity for the weekend. Here are a few photos from the first storm of the year.


A good glaze of ice covered the car, the type glaze that takes a fair amount of hacking at in order to get rid of it. The neighbour's car had frozen doors which made freeing it even more fun.


The stuff on the driveway was too crusty to use the snowblower so we shovelled it. To do so takes as long as doing the northern rectory driveway after a roof dump.


Downtown was pretty dead. The secretary lives 20 miles out so I phoned and said not to come in; I could do the bulletins (after all, I've been doing them for 14 years); the administrator had come in but since the electricity was off at his home, he left before I got in; the sexton, a wonderful soul, was there when I arrived and was still shovelling stairs and walks when I left. It was a wonderfully quiet morning.


None of the shrubs or trees in front of the church got busted by the ice, though I did see trees en route that had snapped or bent over from the weight of the ice.

Driving to the hospital late this afternoon to visit someone in the ER, I discovered that the roads were rather interesting since the temperature was dropping and whatever was left was freezing up. Next week, this all will have melted.

2 comments:

Padre Mickey said...

Brrr! Summer is coming here. It only rains once a day, and is hot hot hot. School ended Thursday.

Fran said...

Oh dear!

At least you called your parish secretary, sadly my new boss did not call me and I drove all the way over there, what a way to end my first week!