
When I got back from choir tonight, there was a message on my answering machine from some national coalition [from Virginia] to defend marriage (sorry, I deleted it because I didn't want to keep it), urging me to write my representative telling him to vote no tomorrow on S115 (same-sex marriage) to preserve the sanctity of marriage. UGH.
We already have enough trouble with crap like this infecting our fair state. We sure don't need to take on the next level, a so-called vote by the people.
As is, I had contacted my representative and he is hopeless. So come November 2010...!!!!
Meanwhile, say your prayers tomorrow because the House will vote on the bill. We need a veto-proof majority. The bill will pass, that seems sure but as to a veto-proof majority? That is less certain.
Evidently 300 Green Mountain College students challenged politely the governor today when he was on campus. Good for them. They wore rainbow buttons which read, 'Celebrate diversity.'
+++
According to the Burlington Free Press this call came from VA, based actually in NJ:
Several people called the Free Press last night to complain about automated calls regarding today's House vote on the gay marriage bill.
Callers said the recordings urged them to call their local legislators and urge them to vote against the bill.
The Vermonters said the calls showed this number on their caller ID: fed0309RSCH or 804-934-1092, a number in Richmond, Va.
This appears to be a lobbying effort by the National Organization for Marriage to encourage opposition to the bill. Here is the contact information for the group:
National Organization for Marriage
20 Nassau Street, Suite 242
Princeton, NJ 08542
Phone: (609) 688-0450
Fax: (888) 894-3604
Email: contact@nationformarriage.org
I wonder if it is connected at all to the Opus Dei group that took up residence across the street from Trinity Episcopal Church. I don't know if they are still there but it was a huge flap when people realised that they were moving in across the street into the house of a parishioner who had been murdered and whose family sold the house thinking it would be a good legacy to sell it to a 'church group.' Ay.
No comments:
Post a Comment