04 November 2006

'They can't take her away from us now.'

That was my first thought after all the symbols of office had been exchanged, when retiring Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold handed over the primatial staff (with a crack in his voice as he did so) to the Most Rev'd Katharine Jefferts Schori. Sitting in the cathedral, in almost a full house, I said to myself that nothing could undo what had just happened.

Only twelve hours ago the magnificent liturgy began. For right now, having travelled from Washington DC back to Vermont and being faced with three liturgies tomorrow, I can't say much because I don't have the luxury of time to process this all. Suffice to say that the whole morning was glorious.

I was seated three rows ahead of the font so this was my vantage point of the pulpit. With antique French opera glasses, I could actually see our new PB's face as she preached.

At the end of the liturgy, she returned to the baptismal font and the entire place erupted again into long, long applause. We were supposed to singing the final hymn and she actually gestured for us to do so, with a big smile. At another point, she covered her face in her hands, disbelieving perhaps at the outburst of emotion. But the emotion was true and it was palpable.

There are many of us who, despite the frozen feet and fingers for having stood outside for two hours (as I did), left on cloud nine.

Now the real work begins. But, for a moment, the celebration was awesome.

Tomorrow night or Monday some more reflections on this incredible event. Right now, it's getting two sermons out (usual Sunday liturgies and afternoon RHE). It's kind of hard to do after a morning like today, but it all fits into the warp and woof of life in the church.

No comments: