20 November 2006

Vignettes

[photo thanks to Fr Jake's place]

Yesterday morning I told two children that they needed to come to church on the 29th because the bishop was going to be here and that our former choir director (who is going to be ordained to the transitional diaconate along with someone else) was someday going to be a priest, like me.

The younger of the two, age 10, apparently told his parents: 'We have to come to church next week because Mr X is going to be made a bishop!'

Another Ambrose, no?

With the same two children, 10 and 14, the younger was scheduled to acolyte, even though he had never done it before. I said he could come sit up front with me and watch what I do, or he could sit with his family. He opted for sitting with his family. Then I asked his sister if she had had breakfast. No, they were going to be having brunch later. I said to her that I have a steadfast rule that kids have to eat before coming to serve; I don't want them fainting in the middle of the liturgy. (Especially 14 year-olds whose bodies haven't a clue who or what they are.) She felt bad about it and said something to one of the ushers, who wisely took her over to the parish house and got her some of the goodies for coffee hour. Everyone was happy and everything went well.

No comments: