22 August 2007

A nugget from André Gide (1869-1951)


Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.

+

This quotation really doesn't need much explaining. I think it fits well to the current situation in the Anglican Communion.

I have read a lot of André Gide's works, starting with La Symphonie Pastorale, then La Porte Etroite (which has led me to pondering about Gide, since this week's gospel is on the narrow door), Les Faux Monnayeurs, and so on. I plowed through his journals and many other novels.

Perhaps my favourite quote from him, one that has always stuck with me and which I have tried to live is:

Le sage est celui qui s'étonne de tout. The wise one is the one who marvels at everything.

The rest of the quotation speaks about seeing each new day as a marvel. It comes from Les Nourritures Terrestres.

Yes. Gide's life was pretty wild — wild enough that thirty years ago, the details of his sexual doings were not mentioned in books or classes. Despite it, he was a wonderful lyrical author.

In any event, read, mark and inwardly digest this one nugget:

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.

1 comment:

episcopalifem said...

Love it.

May have to put it up on my blog.