
So I am three hours into an eight-plus hour layover in Atlanta. Eventually I am going to have to get up from my perch here and wander around, get something to eat and then walk around this vast airport. In another two or three hours, maybe the gate for my flight will be posted.
The things one does for the church (!).
Ay, the last time I had as long a layover was at Logan Boston en route to France for the second part of the Chemin de Saint Jacques. Then I wasn't doing much exploring (partly because we couldn't get into the security area with the stores and restaurants until we had gotten checked through and the ticket counter didn't open until mid afternoon -- we got there at 8.00 or so) because of having broken two toes the week before. So we tried to sleep on the chairs, wrapping ourselves around the chair arms.
My internet will get chopped off in two hours. The pay-for internet sites are so duplicitous (this is Boingo). They tell you for $7.95 you get unlimited access in the airport for 24 hours. After they've snarfed your money, they then tell you oh well, not really. My air time expires after four hours. It is a total rip off.
Nonetheless, I have set up shop by an outlet and am doing as much email as possible before I get cut off.
Burlington VT, Portland OR don't subject their travellers to this sort of nonsense; they have free wifi.
3 comments:
Pittsburgh doesn't either. And their AirMall is required to charge the same prices as they do landside. There is much good about Pittsburgh despite lots of ugly money and bullydox bishops.
Waiting to hear you are safely in the clutches of the red Mr. Peanut Bank and his crew.
I wish I'd known you had that layover! My partner and I could have come and rescued you from airport limbo and taken you to dinner. Next time you have a long Atlanta layover, let us know! We can come entertain you for a while. :)
Drat! I wasn't thinking. For sure. Coming back I have three hours but given that I have to wait for luggage, go through immigration and customs, I won't really have all that much time. There will be a next time, for sure, however. Thanks for the offer.
Post a Comment