09 September 2008

Another change


While in my interview last week I learned that Saint Helena's is going to sell their Vails Gate property. OSH can no longer sustain the maintenance of either the Manhattan or Vails Gate convents.

I have been going to OSH, Vails Gate since 1985. In 1988 I became an associate of the order. Saint Helena's is where I went right after the parish discernment committee told me, 'No, not yet for ordination to the priesthood,' it's where I went to write my aspirancy application; it's where I have gone on Lenten and Advent retreats and where I spent Holy Week during my sabbatical (my last time there). And even when I wasn't there, I knew the sisters were there in a space I know well, praying. And for Christmas this past year, the parish sent money there for me to take a retreat some time this year. I thought, great, I will be an hour closer by moving south and to the west side of the state. Well, it's too late.

For more info, you can read about the decision at their home page.

I am absolutely stunned... feeling probably the way the congregation does with the news of my leaving... I really am bereft because I have lost one of my anchors.

[The photo is of the cross and three rocks that one can see from the dining room.]

3 comments:

Fran said...

Oh my- I can't even imagine.

I am so sorry for this turn of events, my friend.

Sending peace and prayers.

susankay said...

Loss is so very hard.

it's margaret said...

like what susankay said.

call it a clean sweep.