17 September 2008

Aplati (flattened)


I've just been run over by a steam roller. Your Caminante is aplatie, flattened out.

In all my years of meeting with people to plan a funeral, I don't think I have ever been pushed into fight/flight mode but it happened this afternoon. Figure that I just learned about the service Monday night; I spent yesterday getting ready for vestry at which I would be resigning. So today in came the relatives and ran over me, the funeral home and the town. I don't quite think I have ever gotten as beaten up in a pre-funeral planning session as I did today.

I am still in shell-shock. I am not even sure a dram of rum will help.

Meanwhile the funeral will be tomorrow for someone who last was at the parish 50 years ago and who then moved away. May he rest in peace even if his getting there has been a bit rocky.

7 comments:

Fran said...

Rest in peace, rise in glory and God help our Caminante in her own hour of need.

I am starting to do liturgical coordination for funerals. It is- well it is something.

Prayers all around my dear.

Padre Mickey said...

Most of my week has been involved in planning my friend Lizzie's funeral; it's the funeral of the year in Panama so far.

But no one is running me over; I'm in control of almost every detail. But I have had experiences with steam-roller funerals. Usually it's the family members who come from the U.S. and try to take over. What fun!

When I die I want my corpse put out on the curb for ASEO to pick up. Everyone else can do whatever the want at the church.

Leonard said...

Not to fret, you are beloved South of them border(s) and beyond...btw, I snatched a photo of our Primate from your lovely picture of him all in red...he ought smile more, he's quite a loveable gent...and I've got him gracing the final scroll down at my blog...he's a wonder and so are you.

it's margaret said...

God bless you dear.... just like the funeral homes, I am beginning to offer pre-planning sessions where we can talk about what the funeral is to look like and be... long before there is the need to think about such things... it is so helpful to pull out a work sheet and say --seee!?

take good care of yourself--between resigning and a funeral, your cup sounds pretty full.

many blessings.

Caminante said...

Margaret, I do pre-planning, too. This family blew in from the next state, having set everything up without contacting either the funeral home or the church here. Then they arrive expecting a reception and the whole nine yards for someone who left the parish 50 years ago.

Jane R said...

Oy! A multi-dram day, if we were prone to such. Sorry you got steamrolled. I'm with Margaret on the pre-planning, but as you noted, it doesn't prevent the kind of scenario you just endured. +Maya Pavlova is sitting here and sends calming feline vibrations.

it's margaret said...

ouch. sounds like they all need burial! (just kidding)

blessings on you. take good care.