24 November 2008

Moving Day, Part 2


So, the movers parked the truck in the driveway, left it there overnight and returned the next morning at 10.00. for a while before they arrived, the house here seemed to be in some order but that quickly ended. I had carefully marked all the boxes — north bedroom, northwest bedroom, study, green room (there's a bedroom that is totally green), master bedroom, etc., but ultimately all the boxes ended up wherever. I am still engaged in a massive treasure hunt or more like one of those Jacqueline Lawson cards where you click on boxes to find pairs of objects to reveal an image. You have to remember where you last saw something to go back to retrieve it. Such is life here.


Here was the stuffed truck as they started out.


The living room looked OK before they started piling up boxes in there.


They carry out the LAST item, the Empire sofa. They finished the unloading in three hours.


Here is the downstairs 'west room' (because it faces due west), which will become the equivalent of the sitting room I used to have.


And this is the French secretary with its warning sign not to pick it up by the feet because they will break off.


The dining room has gotten worse with the addition of the plants I brought down on Friday (in 20-degree weather — they did not like that).


The study looks totally different now as far as where the furniture is but the profusion of boxes has grown.


By nightfall I had the smallest room put together. It is the only one that has not regressed since last Tuesday. My sister made me the quilt thirty years ago and it's all snippets of Marimekko material.


And I got my bedroom more or less set up minus things on the wall. It, too, has regressed because I had Young Guy shut up in there for his first three days. (La Doyenne and Orange Guy were in the study and Agatha in the bathroom.)

1 comment:

Fran said...

Moving is so stressful!

What a chronicle you have given us here- many prayers and good thoughts your way.

Your comparison to the Jaqueline Lawlor ecard made me laugh!