
La Doyenne is an expert paper shredder. You don't need to go to Office Max or Staples and pay $50 for a paper shredder; just leave whatever you want pawed at, rumpled, chewed and spat out on the table. Newspapers are particularly delectable though an occasional $2000 cheque is most satisfying, if for the reaction it gets from the human when she discovers there are two chomp marks in the corner, even though she thought she had buried it way, way out of the way.

So Orange Boy decides for the first time ever, I think, to sleep in the little basket from Nahuizalco, El Salvador that normally is Young Guy's place. The trio is sleeping in totally different places; neither igloo as I call them has been occupied once this winter and I don't know why because the blanket and towel in each one respectively is clean. Who knows. Maybe it hasn't gotten cold enough, though this past week's minus 10 and 15 degree overnights was enough to shut the parish house down because the oil coagulated and couldn't get from the tank to the furnace.

Young Guy reestablishes ownership of the aforementioned basket. In it is a little sachet of French herbs, which he loves (someday I will find the other one that he lost playing with it), and he smells wonderful later so I call him Mr Herbie.

Long a favourite shot, the threads of that poor towel are so pulled from twenty years of cats sleeping on it, but it always makes a good photo and it protects the Thai pillows that reside under it. I can't remember seeing Young Guy on top of those pillows; it is always La Doyenne, sometimes Orange Boy and sometimes both of them as in this photo. A cat's raison d'être is to find new places to sleep and they do a good job of it.

Young Guy conquers yet another bookcase, this one in the guest bedroom (which is miniscule to begin with and the bookcase makes it even smaller). He sits between a hat from Guatemala and from San Vincente, El Salvador. As I recall, the hat maker where I bought the hat in 1996, one of the best, was badly damaged in the 13 February 2001 earthquake . As in Panamá, each region of El Salvador has a distinctive design for its hats.
No comments:
Post a Comment