09 January 2007

Things begin to revert to normal

What's this odd object? It's the huge lilac by the driveway, covered in wonderful sticky snow (not wonderful to shovel, however). Oh, big deal, it's only about an inch out there, but it's snowing.

The snow was also enough to mess up driving. I was coming back from a meeting of our diocesan global reconciliation committee this afternoon and as I got to the highest point of the highway (1875 feet or something like that), I looked in my rear view mirror just in time to see a pickup truck make a left turn... at least that is what my brain initially interpreted what my eyes were seeing: Oh, look that truck is making a U turn on one of the turn-arounds. Of course that wasn't what was going on as I further watched the truck lurch to the right and bounce along until it came to a halt. Two miles later, by my exit, there was another pick up off the road.

Tonight was vestry and that meeting took longer than anticipated because of not having all the figures for the year-end report. So we spent time on the phone with the treasurer, and did our calculations. If I had had a camera, you would have seen six of us around a table with chocolate-covered peanut butter gizmos, some apple and raspberry tarts, me on my cell phone, another vestry person working on her computer, another person massaging her forehead and two others banging out numbers on their Palms or calculators and our poor clerk trying to keep up with it all. At night's end, we finalised a budget that has a $2298 deficit (which really is only $1998 because of a $1000 carry-over from 2006). The deficit has been far worse in the past. On the other hand, we have also had surplus budgets. Oh well.

I am pretty done in, mentally, for that vestry meeting so I am going to kick back for the few minutes I am still up and deal with the other 'BIG' things on my list tomorrow.

No comments: