11 January 2007

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
The more things change, the more the remain the same

I had a real sense of déjà vu from four years ago (already) today as I went into Montpelier. The first picture gives a glimpse of the state's capitol building/state house from a side street (by a great used book store).

However, today's protest in response to the president's speech last night, was not in front of the capitol building -- that will be on the 20th -- but in front of the bland 1960s federal building, that also serves as Montpelier's post office. As in January 2003, in the weeks before the bombing of Baghdad, I joined in protests in front of either place. I remember going to a protest the day after a January 2003 speech of the president and standing outside for an hour and a half in 5-degree weather. Today, it was better, at 15 degrees.

I also remember March 2003, two days before the attacks actually began, joining 1000 others in front of the statehouse in a silent candlelight vigil (that was part of a world-wide effort). That was an amazing event: 1000+ stood in silence (in 10-degree weather or so), and it was only at the very end of the hour that we began to sing the old songs, We Shall Overcome, etc., quietly. And then we drifted off into the night.

Today's protest was much more modest in scope. Two dozen of us stood there, holding a variety of signs. After a small delegation went inside to talk with a staff member of Senator Leahy's office (my Episcopal colleague sent me inside), the staffer came outside and gave the gathering the senator's statement on the escalation that is proposed (that actually will take place).

The yellow sign in the background was held by a Vietnam vet whose son is in Iraq right now.

I live in a town with a private military college. We are affected by these policies because a lot of the students and grads have been sent over. I can't remember how many connected to the university have died in Iraq but there have been a few. My state has borne a disproportionate amount of fatalities. At one point, the Vermont National Guard had more than 1000 persons deployed in Iraq or Kuwait. Out of my bitty congregation, five grown children of parishioners have been sent out. I pray hard for those over there and always have a sense of relief when they come back safely.

I just don't think they should be over there and should never have been there. However, as I said in my few words to the staffer, I repeat, 'I speak as an individual... and as a person of faith.'

No comments: