
Honoré de Balzac, known for his Comédie Humaine (of which I read a lot during my years as a French major), was infamous for his crazy, crazy work habits. He would sleep all day, then work furiously all night, sometimes up to fifteen hours, fueled by gallons (or shall I say liters) of black coffee, then hit the town and go out socialising, come back in the late hours of the morning (4.00 or 5.00), go to bed and start all over again in the afternoon.
My cicadian clock is way out of kilter these days so I find myself, if left unfettered by appointments, going to bed at 1.30 and waking up at 9.00 or 9.30. It's embarassing for someone my age to be keeping such adolescent hours, hours normally associated with the 20 year-old crowd but that is where my little pituitary gland seems to be stuck.
Meanwhile, Balzac wrote some amazing pieces of literature so you can't disparage him for keeping odd hours. At least he was productive, if not ecentric.
No comments:
Post a Comment