23 September 2007

I could have predicted this


Compa is flying home from New Orleans, having spent four days there with some Episcopal communicators working on rebuilding houses and travelling to Mississippi.

She had a lay-over in Newark. Need I say more? Newark on a Sunday night?

She called ten minutes ago, from the plane, yes, the pilot said people could use their mobiles, to say that there are FIFTY, 5-0, planes in front of them. Take off could be anywhere from an hour or hour and fifty minutes after their scheduled departure time which was supposed to be 21.05. It's then an hour and a half to Burlington and an hour drive to the house here. Late night.

Why am I not at all surprised?

It is precisely for this reason, the constant back-ups at Newark, that I chose an 8h46 minute lay-over in Atlanta going to Panama so that I wouldn't get stuck in Newark when I return at night.

EWR, Newark ought to have over its portals: Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

3 comments:

PseudoPiskie said...

When I was at Westminster Choir College and we had runouts to the City, I was fascinated by the seemingly interminable line of planes lined up to land at Newark. Even late when we were on the way home down the NJ Turnpike. Their landing lights were like beads of ever decreasing sizes as far as the weather would permit seeing. And that was 15 years ago.

PseudoPiskie said...

And I'm praying the trip home from Newark is swift and uneventful for her and you.

Caminante said...

She actually got in earlier than I thought; the plane took off only 50 minutes after she called.