29 September 2007

Nueva entrada

If you go to a Spanish-speaking country, you get to do all your blogging in Spanish. So here we are, adding a new entry... from Panamá!

These are the behind-the-scenes photos of my first day in Panamá with Padre Mickey and the Lovely Mona who are world-class hosts. Mona also is an amazing driver since in Panamá all rules of the road are negotiable at best and forgotten at worst. She goes with the flow, unflappable.

First, off to the market where the Kuña people sell molas, reverse appliqué designs. It is so hard to choose just one, or two, or three, or four. I am doing Christmas shopping so can justify spending so much. This woman was gracious in putting up with the negocios. She is holding a mola I got for my mother, whose 80th birthday is today. ¡Saludos, mama!

Then off to San Cristóbal. You've seen lots of photos of that but I will surely have some to post on Sunday after church because I will be there for the 7.30 and 10.30 masses (English where I preach and Spanish where I preside).

But here's the photo you all want to see: How Padre Mickey does the Mr Red Peanut editions. La Señorita Chompita Wiggletail is an able assistant. Cheese, crackers, fish and rum are behind them.

More later from la bella Panamá.

2 comments:

June Butler said...

Caminante, wish a "Happy Birthday!" to your mom on the big 80.

How do you choose anything surrounded by all the color in the mercado?

Keep us informed on the festivities at San Cristóbal.

johnieb said...

We exhibited a selection of Molas in a small Hartford gallery in the late Nineties; I hope you got bunches!