06 January 2008

The Feast of the Epiphany


The bishop came to our church today. So... no sermon. Instead, there's a very weary Caminante.

He presided and preached at both 8.00 and 10.00 services of Holy Eucharist — a very good sermon that maybe I can reconstruct someday.

The coffee hour with a special Epiphany cake: whoever gets the white ring gets to make next year's cake. Wouldn't you know — he got it! We threatened that he have to come back next year for Epiphany with a home-made cake but he traded off with a 10 year-old. I got a penny, symbolising that I am poor. Well, I didn't need to know that, though by world standards, I am very wealthy.

Then an hour-plus meeting with the vestry, followed by some time the two of us in discussion.

And then, in what was perhaps the most tender moment of the day, we took communion to the mother of a congregant. It was sweet to see our bishop in that context. After all, I don't think bishops get to do much of that.

Then meeting Compa downstream 35 miles (a little over halfway) to get my pack for the talk on the Camino I am giving tomorrow.

It's time to crater after this 'God' [i.e., typo for good] day. I am not even sure I will make it through one section of the New York Times.

3 comments:

Saint Pat said...

Even though it was exhausting, it sounds like a cool Epiphany, except for the meeting part (ugh). Your bishop sounds cool, too. Taking communion to a shut-in, on Epiphany, and the cake thing.

bls said...

I love Epiphany; it's up there at the top of my favorite feasts of the year. So much going on....

Caminante said...

I also love Epiphany because it is the season in which I was ordained to the priesthood. Though it doesn't look particularly nice out right now, things tend to be much brighter in January than November because of the snow on the ground.