25 March 2008

Easter Tuesday

I took a day off and went over to Mad River Glen, thanks to a parishioner who gave me a VIP pass (i.e., free ski pass).


They've just finished rehauling the 1949 or whatever single chair from a smelly diesel engine to something far kinder to the environment. MRG also prides itself on not having snow making — while that drives away some folks, it saves a bundle in energy costs... and, yes, MRG is therefore less crowded.

I didn't take my camera, which I regret, because it was a 110-mile view day: I could make out Mount Washington and the Prezzies quite well. Camel's Hump was magnificent and while the mountain had undergone a severe coating of ice, the ice-encrusted trees looked gorgeous, like sparkling diamonds in the sunshine. This photo, taken on Easter, is snagged from the MRG website.

It being Easter Tuesday, a day when I usually am catatonic and tired, I took it easy. I couldn't have done more than I did — 10 runs and not all on the black trails, in fact most weren't though an advanced intermediate here is a black trail elsewhere — I haven't skied since last year and last Thursday I gave blood. That combination made for tired legs though they seemed to get stronger as the day went on. While I didn't do a lot of moguls, the few I did felt good.

Most of all, it was wonderful to be outside on a spring-like day (in the high 30s-low 40s) in the sun.

The roads are beginning to get interesting — the short-cut over to the Mad River valley is getting a little gooey.

+

The whole point of the day was to 'get out in the world,' like other people, get out of the church and just go and do something. It also is a way of connecting with my family because my father taught us all how to ski. He won't ever go skiing again, something that makes me very sad, so I do it for him. As he emailed me today, ' It's been many a year.....'

+

As a point of comparison, here's what I wrote about MRG last year.

3 comments:

Fran said...

I thought of you today when I encountered a big muddy thing during a walk today and I thought of mud season in Vermont, or whatever you might call it. So your mention of the gooey road brought that to mind.

I love that this is what you did on Easter Tuesday- out in the glory of nature.

Also I loved what you said about your dad!

Rev Dr Mom said...

I thought of you today too when I whizzed by your village on the way back home. The weather was gorgeous all three days I was in VT.

Caminante said...

RDM, oh too bad I wasn't around as you went zooming by though you were up on the ridge and I down in the valley.... Another time.