22 March 2008

Holy Saturday morning

While a select few go back and forth about the legitimacy of the HOB vote to depose (to which I say, 'Get a life — what happened to the resurrection?'), I am more inclined to be still today (even as I run around getting ready for tonight, including a flying trip to Montpelier to get bulletins photocopied because our little copier can't handle 8.5 x 14 paper in quantity).


This morning before the Holy Saturday office with the cross where it was placed last night.


Given that we are already on daylight savings and Easter is so early this year, the reflections on the bare altar top are visible before the office.


From an ancient homily on the holy and great Sabbath

Something strange is happening — there is a great silence on earth today, a great silence and stillness. The whole earth keeps silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and he has raised up all who have slept ever the world began. God has died in the flesh and hell trembles with fear.

[...]

Rise up, let us leave this place.... The bridal chamber is adorned, the banquet is ready, the eternal dwelling places are prepared, the treasure houses of all good things lie open. The kingdom of heaven has been prepared for you from all eternity.

[in The Prayer Book Office, prepared by Howard Galley, NY, NY: Seabury Press, 1989, 735-37]

3 comments:

Jane R said...

(to which I say, 'Get a life — what happened to the resurrection?')

I know, and we're supposed to be the not so orthodox ones...

Caminante said...

There are parts of me (sacramental theology, liturgy) that are quite 'orthodox' and rather traditional. We are all people of paradox.

Jane R said...

Same here.

And I think it is not a contradiction to be liturgically and sacramentally orthodox --and Trinitarian-- and to be focused on the poor and disenfranchised and on a more inclusive and welcoming church.

Christ is risen! A joyous Easter to you and yours.