22 December 2006

L'enfant prodïgue est de retour

The prodigal has returned to the fold, $369 later. The iBook is now my grand-daddy's axe: the outside case is the same (I know it's mine because I had worn off the letters, 'A,' 'S,' and 'E') but all the innards are new: RAM, hard drive, logic board, airport, combo optical drive, and a few other things for good measure. The system has been bumped up from Panther to Tiger. Mostly, though, it is tabula rasa, so I am beginning the tedious process of moving things I want from my old Mac, the stay-at-home G4 tower, to the iBook (which is, after all this, quite a bit faster) and begin to add in the applications I want since I can't get my Panther to talk to my Tiger (bad firewire???). Unfortunately, there are a bunch. Oddly, Apple only loads iTunes 4.2, and on my homebody computer, I am up to 7.2 so I will have to upgrade that at some point. There's a lot of work yet to do to reclaim my iBook, but at least the desktop looks normal again (24-hour clock, my photos, here, of Mount Mansfield from the Green Mountain Club).

Meanwhile, I bought on eBay an indentical printer to replace my other one which has gone funky. There, all is not well. I can't get the 'new' printer to talk with the tower G4. It will talk with the iBook but the colour still prints oddly. I think the blue nozzle is clogged. So it has not yet been a resounding success.

The worst thing for me to do when I am stressed is fuss with computers but, sigh, it's like having a Christmas present and having to play with it.

No comments: