29 December 2006

More vacation follies


When was the last time you were able to kick back and do nothing? It has been such a rare (and enforced) treat this week to do mindless (and not quite so) things as play scrabble and backgammon. We had to reteach ourselves the rules to backgammon; I don't think I have played it in 23 years — surely back to my grad school days in the early 1980s. I was amazed at how quickly it all came back.

As for scrabble, in the sample photo, the hand in the foreground has a 'Q'; the one in the background was all vowels. tonight I managed to land 'QUIETS' on a triple word score with double letter on a 'T', tacked onto another word, to give me a total of 55 points. That was sheer luck.

We also spent time messing around with wood this afternoon. The more time that passes from the chainsaw accident, the more apprehensive I get about being near that vicious machine but I know it is necessary for our heat so I simply tell myself not to worry. There are new rules, however: we are not going to cut off little twigs with the chainsaw when they can be lopped off by hand. (Doing exactly that is how we ran afoul of the saw that infamous time.) And I won't let the saw get close to my hand that is holding the wood. I trust and hope that in time I will surmount my fears because they annoy me more than anything else.

No comments: