25 February 2008

All broke down


The brain is broke down today... and the body is still recovering from the cold that is in my chest. No, it's nothing serious — it's not pneumonia or bronchitis, just tired lungs and chest. However, for having loafed around the past four days (i.e., having slept about three or four hours mid-day, except yesterday), I was tired doing the little pre-emptive snow-shovelling I did this afternoon.

The old-timers call a day like today — sunny and in the 30s — a 'weather-breeder' day. They couldn't believe that the weather would hold so whenever it was nice, they would assume bad weather was on the way... as it is for tomorrow: another snowstorm that can leave us with 6-12 inches.* This winter is turning out to be like the one of 2000-2001 when on 1 April, there were four feet of snow outside. I realise the snow on the porch roof is almost up to the study windows. Anyway, I tried to hack at the snow walls in the driveway with no success. I suspect the snow-plow guy will do nothing tomorrow.

Meanwhile, what's broke-down? For starters, health care and health insurance (the biggest rip-off that exists). Only this week did I get a coverage statement from Blue Cross Blue Shield for last year's colonoscopy. Uhuh, I had that sucker on 11 September and they didn't process it until 12 February. SIX months later! So, of course I can't claim it in 2007 (which would have helped taxes), I have to this year. And worse, so much for the passing thought that oh, my finances are OK, I actually can pay everything... because now here is a $677 I wasn't expecting having to shell out. I desperately need to take Orange Guy to the vet because he has a lump on his neck and I also need to take Young Guy there too because his eye looks odd. That's bound to be $250. Then I start praying the car doesn't break down. I had entertained the idea of going to El Salvador but I just can't do that. Nor are Compa and I going walking this year because we can't afford it. Back to the original thought, our health care system is so broke down, it should be dismantled and rebuilt entirely.

And then, given that Vermont has a primary next week, I got the first canned robo call from the Clinton campaign. They've latched onto Vermont's retired governor, Madeleine Kunin. Frank Rich in his column yesterday actually refers to Vermont (mirabile): 'The Burlington Free Press reported that there were four Obama offices and no Clinton offices as of five days ago.' I suppose I should be glad the campaigns are giving Vermont attention; usually no one bothers with us. I still yearn for a political season that is two months long. Keep on dreaming.

So the sunset is a gentle orange pink.

Red sky at night, sailor's delight; red sky at morn, sailors take warn.

Vamos a ver.

* from the National Weather Service:
SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING ARE EXPECTED TO BE 6 TO 10 INCHES ACROSS THE SAINT LAWRENCE RIVER VALLEY 8 TO 14 INCHES ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS OF NORTHERN NEW YORK 10 TO 15 INCHES ACROSS MUCH OF VERMONT AND THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY OF NEW YORK WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE IN FAVORED HIGHER TERRAIN.

No comments: