12 March 2008

They did it


Episcopal News Service
March 12, 2008

House of Bishops consents to deposition of John-David Schofield, William Cox
By staff

[ENS] The House of Bishops voted March 12 to consent to the deposition from the ordained ministry of the Rt. Rev. John-David Schofield, bishop of the Diocese of San Joaquin, and the Rt. Rev. William Jackson Cox, bishop suffragan of the Diocese of Maryland, resigned.

Members of the House of Bishops are preparing a statement regarding these actions and for release after a March 12 afternoon session.

The process used to work through these resolutions took into account the importance of prayer and careful reflection before each vote was taken. Specifically, in both cases the House was first led in prayer by a chaplain, followed by small-group discussion, and then plenary discussion. After this, voting commenced. Each vote was cast clearly in the majority, with some nay votes, and some abstentions.

Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori asked the bishops assembled "to continue to reach out" in pastoral care to both Schofield and Cox.

"Abandoning the Communion of this Church does not mean we abandon a person as a member of the Body of Christ," Jefferts Schori said.

Full texts of the resolutions follow. Each resolution was considered and voted upon separately. The resolution pertaining to Schofield was acted upon first.

RESOLUTION

RESOLVED, that pursuant to Canon IV.9.2 of the Episcopal Church, the House of Bishops hereby consents to the Deposition from the ordained ministry of the Rt. Rev. John-David Schofield, Bishop of the Diocese of San Joaquin.

EXPLANATION: On January 9, 2008, the Title IV Review Committee certified to the Presiding Bishop, pursuant to Canon IV.9.1, that the Rt. Rev. John-David Schofield, Bishop of the Diocese of San Joaquin, has repudiated the Doctrine, Discipline, and Worship of the Episcopal Church and has abandoned the Communion of the Church by, inter alia, departing from the Episcopal Church and purporting to take his Diocese with him into affiliation with the Province of the Southern Cone. In the intervening two months since the Presiding Bishop gave notice to Bishop Schofield of the foregoing certification, Bishop Schofield has failed to submit to the Presiding Bishop sufficient retraction or denial of the actions found by the Title IV Review Committee. Accordingly, the Presiding Bishop has presented the matter to the House of Bishops and requested consent to Bishop Schofield's Deposition.

RESOLUTION

RESOLVED, that pursuant to Canon IV.9.2 of the Episcopal Church, the House of Bishops hereby consents to the Deposition from the ordained ministry of the Rt. Rev. William Jackson Cox, Bishop Suffragan of the Diocese of Maryland, resigned.

EXPLANATION: On May 29, 2007, the Title IV Review Committee certified to the Presiding Bishop, pursuant to Canon IV.9.1, that the Rt. Rev. William Jackson Cox, Bishop Suffragan of the Diocese of Maryland, resigned, has repudiated the Doctrine, Discipline, and Worship of the Episcopal Church and has abandoned the Communion of the Church by, inter alia, departing from the Episcopal Church and stating his intention to continue to perform episcopal acts solely under the oversight and jurisdiction of a bishop outside the Episcopal Church without conforming to the Constitution and Canons of the Episcopal Church. In the intervening two months since the Presiding Bishop gave notice to Bishop Cox of the foregoing certification, Bishop Cox has failed to submit to the Presiding Bishop sufficient retraction or denial of the actions found by the Title IV Review Committee. Accordingly, the Presiding Bishop has presented the matter to the House of Bishops and requested consent to Bishop Cox's Deposition.

7 comments:

Jane R said...

Kirstin, I actually think this is sad, although it is just. So I don't want to rejoice. I think this would be bowing to the modus operandi of others. Also, the HOB needs to stand up for +Gene in an unequivocal way. (I realize they think they have done so, but I'm looking for an even stronger stance.) That is and will be true courage.

P.S. Caminante, the Word Verification Code says "uhcacka" !

PseudoPiskie said...

It would be interesting to know who voted how. I pray the backbone stiffening it took to do this remains thru Lambeth.

Caminante said...

You will notice that I put up the ENS without comment and really without anything that would signal my thoughts one way or another. Fact is, the occasion is sad on many levels. I am satisfied that the HOB did what is just. I now pray that the DioSJ can move forward.

Kirstin said...

I appreciate your sadness. I have friends in SJ who are breathing for the first time in a long while. What is saddest to me, is what the church here (I'm in the Valley right now, though not of it) has been through. They're getting a chance at resurrection.

That's where my joy comes from.

Kirstin said...

Oh and Jane, you're absolutely right about what the HOB needs to do for +Gene.

Caminante said...

I am not in SJ so can't know what people's experiences have been... I guess I am drawing upon the recollection of how I felt when the HOB concurred with the HOD on the election of Gene Robinson. While I was ecstatic inside, when the news came through to those of us gathered (some 1000+) in the worship area, and then the subsequent statement by the usual suspects, I was not the only one who was weeping knowing in part what this all would bring about, as just and right as it was. So I guess that is what I am responding to -- knowing that this is just and right and that there are people who are finally set free but also knowing that there are people who are hurting. It's never simple... as I intuited that day in Minneapolis, 5 August 2003.

Kirstin said...

I hear you.