24 January 2009

Leadership beyond charisma

Bob Herbert sums up well for me why I am enthusiastic about Obama:

We’ve been watching that something this week, and it’s called leadership. Mr. Obama has been feeding the almost desperate hunger in this country for mature leadership, for omeone who is not reckless and clownish, shortsighted and self-absorbed.

Go read the rest of his column here.

Then for fun here's a photo that is flying around the world. I can at least say I know someone who has met the President. That probably is going to be as close to a president as I'll ever get though I pray that maybe this one will come to Vermont. We've been kind of neglected.

2 comments:

Fran said...

I love the way you open this post- it is so true. It is as if we have been in the desert and he is the moisture that we seek.

That said, I remind myself that I type this that there is no way to the Promised Land, save through the desert. I don't recreate it well, but Annie Dillard said it better.

That photo is brilliant, I just saw it at Susan Russell's.

Jane R said...

Thanks for the link to the Herbert column. I always like what he writes and I think he nailed it with his comment on leadership. That's exactly it.