Today I finally got out of Rutland and headed back to the AT/LT at Cold River and the Clarendon Gorge.
I thought I could get further on Rte 7 before getting the road back but couldn't even get past LaValley's. The orange posts showed that already there was a problem.
The sign astutely reads, 'ROAD CLOSED.'
The detour on back roads avoids this bridge collapse on Rte 7.
This photo of the Cold River is how it looked prior to 28 August; I took it two weeks ago.
Here is another 'before' photo.
Trees and all manner of things that washed down river and got hung up at the bend.
More junk.
This is now what the river looks like. It has shrunk greatly.
These rocks used to be covered by water.
This tree is stuck in the river just below the bridge.
The river now flows in a narrow channel.
This summer there were a bunch people camped out here. Good thing they had decamped or they would have been washed out permanently.
There's silt and broken trees where there used to be a place to camp.
As far as the Green Mountain Club knows, the abutments to the suspension bridge are still OK. It is a moot point since the National Forest is closed.
Another view from the bridge of all the stuff that washed downstream.
A tire got stuck in a tree.
03 September 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

















1 comment:
The 'disappearing' river --now less than half its size --reminds me of out west, and it's not that the river has disappeared, but what has happened is there has formed a dam of debris upstream, that will eventually break and cause a devastating wall of water and debris that will cause even more damage. I hope that is not what is happening with the Cold River scenario.
Post a Comment