15 July 2007

Almost crosses


Someone graciously made a flower arrangement for the high altar (summer flowers are so great... most of the year we don't have flowers). The creator of the arrangement and several others later remarked on the red cross formed by the flowers. Interestingly, they noticed it during the sermon (and why not?). And, indeed, there is one.

Meanwhile, it's rare that people light votives straight across in a line the way they did today, another subconscious, almost cross.

Both photos I took about an hour and a half after the second service when the church was empty save me. It's always wonderful to go back over and see all those lit votives, the visible remnant of someone's prayer. Most of the time I don't know who has lit which candle because people tend to do so on their way back to their pew post communion. It doesn't really matter that I know; what does matter is knowing that someone stopped and said a prayer and lit a candle as a reminder of the silent prayer.

No comments: