28 August 2008

Back to the mountains

After such a wet July, we've had a stretch of dry August weather.

Even though I have piles of work to do, I couldn't resist going up a local peak I've never gone up, a simple 3700 footer, Shrewsbury Peak. We saw it last week when we went up around Little Killington. So Compa and I took off and did the 3.8 mile RT in just over two hours. It's a lot easier when you're not schlepping a 30 pound pack on your back.


Looking east, one sees Mount Ascutney (if one goes up I-91, one will see it to the west). Beyond it dimly are the NH Whites. And in the foreground behind a ridge is our house somewhere (near the open fields to the left).


Shrewsbury Peak does not have a 360-degree view, just one to the east and south (that is disappearing as the trees grow). So south one sees Okemo (to the left). If one were truly able to see to the west, one could see Mount Equinox down by Manchester.

So, for a quick hike, one is satisfied.

I was trying out new boots. They have more space in the toe box so my toes aren't screaming at me on the downhills but I need to figure out better the lacing because I think I bruised my ankle. I hope it's just lacing and not the boot itself since I now own them.

It's amazing what I manage to think through on these hikes. Today was no different... I needed the hike.

1 comment:

PseudoPiskie said...

Walking works wonders.