
Here's what I managed to rescue from the over-grown part of the garden. What seemed like a rational idea back in May — clear out the blackberry bushes and dig up the Jerusalem artichokes to expand the garden into an area that gets more sun — has turned out to be a disaster because the aforementioned vegetation has once again taken over its former digs. Despite it, the peppers are turning out decent chiles and some day I will have lots of tomatillos and tomatoes (if the slugs don't get them).
Mercifully the rain held off to just half an hour ago so I could collect veggies, mow the lawn (with one hand, having secured the self-propelling bar with a bungee cord) where it was flat and drive up the road to the local farm stand to get my favourite summer dinner: wax and green beans, corn on the cob and fresh new potatoes. So what if it's almost all starch.
I am involved in some outside writing so don't have a lot of free time to work here.
5 comments:
Pepper, yum!
I wish we had a garden!
Peppers, good idea, I bet we can grow some wonderousones!
Thanks and love the photo...it's soooo fully greenprinted!
I wasn't aware boas were vegetable eaters... That one is getting really close to a big surprise.
(I'm getting very weary going to bed at midnight SF time and getting up at 7 PA time. Four hours sleep gives me an odd outlook on life. ha.)
The foto is green and yellow because that's the colour of the peppers. And this boa was quite happy to delve into the peppers.
Two things: slugs like beer. slugs also don't like sand. When the beer didn't work, I used to put a couple inches' diameter of rough sand around the base of my basil plants, and the slugs refused to cross over it to eat them. Previously, we had basil-fed slugs. Later, we had beautiful bunches of fresh basil.
Of course, I don't know if the overgrown area is approachable enough to do either of those things. Alas -- cutting back something which has taken over an area often causes it to thrive all the more.
Haven't had much time for blog reading, but you are in my prayers for healing for your hand!
Post a Comment